An Introduction to Nordic Walking
What is Nordic Walking?
Founded in Finland and used as a cross-country skiing summer training method. Nordic walking uses specially designed poles to engage the upper body during fitness walking. Involving the upper body takes some of the effort from the lower limbs and propels the body forward. This makes walking distances seem easier, especially up hills and inclines.
I offer to help clients, who wish to become more active (and lose weight by getting back into regular exercise) to learn Nordic Walking. Nordic Walking Technique can help improve walking gait and posture. This can be done during hour long one-to-one sessions or small group sessions. We use local parkland areas such as The Carrs and Styal Country Park, as well as small urban parks such as Meriton Park, Handforth.
Benefits of Nordic Walking
- Uses 90% of the skeletal muscles
- Burns up to 46% more calories than ordinary walking
- Reduces the pressure on the knees and joints.
- Poles propel the walker along, making it easier to move faster than normal without feeling the effort.
- Increases upper body strength.
- Ideal for neck, shoulder and back problems
- Great for weight loss and general conditioning.
- It is a total body workout!
- It is a great social activity and you can enjoy with friends and family for a lifetime.
For those who have difficulty walking and need to have more stability from a walking pole, I can provide Activator Poles, which allows for greater weight bearing through the pole which can increase confidence with walking.
For more information Walk This Way…
Thank you for your attention …ready to have a go?!